We are pleased to present the next in our weekly series introducing you to Internal Medicine’s Advanced Practice Providers. In addition to sharing information about where they work in the department, we asked them each to tell us a little bit about their “Why” (the sustaining pull for their work) and what relaxes them. (Read previous weeks’ installments.)
Services: Breast, sarcoma, and neuro-oncology teams; procedure clinic
Years with Internal Medicine: 2 years
Hometown: I grew up in Tipton, Iowa, but now call Iowa City my home.
My “WHY”: A cancer diagnosis is an emotional and frightening time in a patient’s life. I enjoy providing detailed information about the disease and the treatment options so patients can feel confident when making decisions about their health. It’s great to see patients feel empowered along their cancer journey. I appreciate the bravery and positive outlook that the patients have. It gives great motivation to continue thoughtful, dedicated cancer care.
What Relaxes Me: Spending time with my family, snuggling with my cat, reading
Clarissa is dedicated to providing high quality and compassionate care to patients with cancer. She develops relationships with patients quickly and confidently and they come to rely on her expertise. She is an invaluable provider on multiple care teams in the cancer clinic.
– – Michele Freesmeier, PA-C
Read what patients say about her:
- Clarissa Bruce is a wonderful provider and makes you feel like you are her only priority when you are in the room with her.
- She was very knowledgeable and I felt like she really listened to me.
- Clarissa Bruce is SIMPLY MARVELOUS. She listened to my concerns, had considered my requests that I had emailed to her prior to the visit and conducted a very patient and thorough appointment.
- Really appreciate the time she took to explain things on my level—felt listened to. Was put at ease about my concerns.
- Clarissa remembered personal things we discussed at my last appointment, which made me feel like I wasn’t just a number.
- What I liked about Clarissa is instead of just answering ‘no,’ she also explained why she had that opinion/answer/reason. For example, ‘do you think this is a symptom of xyz?’
- Clarissa is a wonderful provider, very knowledgeable, and caring. Really listened to me and tried to help me with my issues.