We are pleased to present the next in our weekly series introducing you to Internal Medicine’s Advanced Practice Providers. In addition to sharing information about where they work in the department, we asked them each to tell us a little bit about their “Why” (the sustaining pull for their work) and what relaxes them. (Read previous weeks’ installments.)
Clinic: General Internal Medicine at Iowa River Landing
Length of time with Internal Medicine: 9 months
Specialty or service I almost chose instead of this one: Family practice. My background is family practice and I was hesitant to leave behind caring for pediatric patients. I was excited to narrow my practice focus and have really enjoyed the change.
One of my favorite moments in this job: Getting to build personal relationships with my patients and help them achieve their health care goals. I find it incredibly fulfilling to help patients better manage their chronic disease and stay out of the hospital. It’s great to feel like you have impacted someone’s health and life in a positive way. I am so blessed to get to do that every day.
What restores me for the work: Time with my daughters and husband, spending time outside, travel and baking sourdough bread
Becca immediately became an integral member of our team upon joining. As a former ER and ICU nurse and with two years of rural family medicine experience as a nurse practitioner, she hit the ground running with providing acute care to our patients, follow-up care from hospitalizations and ER visits, and primary care, including to help with patients of colleagues who are on leave. She also joined our group with a special interest in skin procedures and has assisted our group with skin biopsies and skin lesion removal. She has helped us to have more evening-hour availability with currently working a Wednesday evening clinic. She also has taken part in the living donor program, evaluating and counseling those who are considering kidney donation and partial liver donation. Becca’s ability to work hard and provide competent, compassionate care in a variety of settings and situations has helped our group overall to improve the care of our patients.
– – Michael Klein, MD
Read what patients say bout her:
- Becca was great. She was there for me and discussed with me the plan to move forward. She found time to get me in to see her.
- I found her to be delightful.
- I just switched my care to Dr. Mischel and it was the best decision. She is awesome and I couldn’t be happier with her care. She listened to me, responded to everything that we talked about, and actually seemed to care about me.
- I am a retired RN and this was the best visit and she addressed all my concerns. Will be making all my appointments with her!!
- Becca Mischel, NP is an excellent listener. She involves me in decisions about my care.
- Great visit. Addressed my concerns. Friendly and interested. Would be happy to see again.
- Rebecca Mischel is very easy to talk to and I never feel rushed. Always have time to get all my questions in.
- Excellent knowledgeable, sensitive care. Felt safe and in good hands. Pleased with thoroughness of blood work ordered and menu of options for next steps.
- Rebecca was an excellent listener and very respectful of my knowledge of myself and my health conditions.
- Extremely skilled at discussing delicate subjects.
- Becca — whom I’d never met and who took the appointment because my usual doctor was away — could not have been better. She listened, was thoughtful, direct, open, and had ideas for treatment that were excellent.