Article: Meta-Analysis Evaluating Calcium Channel Blockers and the Risk of Peripheral Arterial Disease in Patients With Hypertension
Authors: Suchith Shetty MD, MPH, Aaqib H. Malik MD, MPH, Herman Feringa MD, PhD, MPH, Ramzi El Accaoui MD, Saket Girotra MD, SM
Journal: Am J Cardiol. 2020 Mar 15;125(6):907-915
Abstract: Clinical studies have shown that calcium channel blockers (CCB) can mitigate the progression of atherosclerosis. Their role in the primary prevention of peripheral artery disease (PAD) is unclear. We conducted a meta-analysis of randomized control trials (RCT) to compare the impact of CCB on the incidence of PAD in patients with hypertension. A comprehensive review of the literature was performed in PubMed and Cochrane registry. Studies were included if they were RCT and had outcome data on PAD with a follow-up duration of at least 6 months. CCB formed the intervention group, whereas the control group was constituted by either placebo or active treatment with any of the other antihypertensive medications. A random-effects meta-analysis was performed, and we report odds ratio as a measure of treatment effect. Our search identified 934 trials, of which 7 RCTs with 71,971 patients fulfilled the inclusion criteria. The mean duration of follow-up was 3.8 years. In patients receiving CCB, PAD events occurred in 547 out of 27,502 patients (2%) compared with 1,263 out of 42,659 patients in the control group (3%). Based on the random-effect model, the odds for development of PAD in hypertensive patients treated with CCB compared with the control group was 0.70 (95% confidence interval of 0.58 to 0.86, p = 0.0005). In conclusion, this meta-analysis of RCTs of hypertensive patients, we found that treatment with CCB was strongly associated with a decrease in the PAD compared with other antihypertensive agents or placebo.
Link to journal online: