We are pleased to present the next in our weekly series introducing you to Internal Medicine’s Advanced Practice Providers. In addition to sharing information about where they work in the department, we asked them each to tell us a little bit about their “Why” (the sustaining pull for their work) and what relaxes them. (Read previous weeks’ installments.)
Clinic/service: Medical Oncology/Holden Comprehensive Cancer Center
Years with Internal Medicine: 10 years in Internal Medicine/18 years in Cancer Center
Specialty or service I almost chose instead of this one: When I was in PA school, I wanted to do neurology. But my first job out of school, 20+ years ago, was in oncology. I have been an oncology PA ever since and this is where I am meant to be.
One of my favorite moments in this job: I enjoy connecting with patients and their family members. Being a source of support and comfort for them during the difficult course of their disease is very rewarding. Patients often ask how I can work in oncology day after day, my response is, “I wish our services weren’t needed, but since they are, I am glad I am here to provide them.”
What restores me for the work: Traveling (preferably to a warmer climate), music, and hiking.
Michele is exceptional. She is my right arm in managing my patients in the clinic. Without her I would not know what to do. Michele manages my clinic load and patients and has been at the forefront of melanoma cancer work. She has specialized in the delivery of care of patients on clinical trials that are exceptionally complex from phase 1 to phase III. If there was a board certification for Melanoma that would allow our associates to participate she would pass with flying colors. She is one of the best colleagues I could ever ask for.
– – Mohammed Milhem, MBBS
Read what patients say about her:
- Michele is attentive, listens intently, and explains thoroughly. Very friendly and knows what she’s talking about. Provides options and solutions.
- Very knowledgeable and courteous.
- Michele is the best. She always makes me feel like my time to travel for my appointment with her was worth it. She spends the time to truly ask how I’m doing, is thorough in her review of my health. I like that she has a resident/student with her and has them look over the areas where my cancer was affected. To help her teach these up-and-coming doctors is wonderful, and I’m always happy to participate with her on that.
- I enjoy seeing Michele. She’s very thorough and cares about my health.
- Really like her!!!!
- Michele is always very good. She is knowledgeable generally, and particularly about my condition. She is thorough in her examination. She has time for questions.