We are pleased to present the next in our weekly series introducing you to Internal Medicine’s Advanced Practice Providers. In addition to sharing information about where they work in the department, we asked them each to tell us a little bit about their “Why” (the sustaining pull for their work) and what relaxes them. (Read previous weeks’ installments.)
Service: Behavioral Oncology, Holden Comprehensive Cancer Center, Clinic B
Length of time with Internal Medicine: about 6 months
Specialty or service I almost chose instead of this one: Surprisingly, ICU but I had a psychiatric NP and a psychiatrist I worked with beg me to stay in psychiatry so here I am today. I’ve been glad for the route I’ve chosen.
One of my favorite moments in the job: When people have a revelation in their life to better themselves or they tell you something that they’ve never told someone else before and it sends them on a healing path. It’s so rewarding to have your patients want to include you in not only their big victories but their small ones as well!
What restores me for the work: Making a difference in people’s lives as well as self-care by taking time off, having a getaway, spending time with my family.
Jessica is a tremendous asset to the Behavioral Oncology Clinic and our cancer center as a whole. She brings to her role many years of experience. Jessica makes herself available to patients and staff. She does a great job of putting her patients at ease with her kind, caring, and upbeat personality.
I know I speak for many people when I say, it is GREAT having Jessica as part of our cancer center team!
– – Sharon Baumler, RN
Read what patients say about her:
- She is very familiar with some of the areas in which I’ve lived. This makes it so much easier to move through what I needed to say and increased understanding of my situation. GREAT!
- My provider gets me.
- Jessica is very positive, asks many questions to provide a clear action plan. She’s a wonderful nurse practitioner in mental health. It’s hard to find a good mental health doctor. She is definitely excellent.
- Jessica is terrific.
- She is over the top nice and caring.
- Jessica was wonderful! She listened to my health history and my concerns and was very sympathetic. We, together, came up with a plan concerning my medicine and future therapist openings. Very productive and will see her in 6 weeks. I was very pleased with the appointment!
- She is very nice and has a lot of knowledge!
- Jessica asked questions that allowed me to reach the solving stage on my own for the most part. A few times she would offer a few options for me. Very caring and she really listened.