We are pleased to present the next in our weekly series introducing you to Internal Medicine’s Advanced Practice Providers. In addition to sharing information about where they work in the department, we asked them each to tell us a little bit about their “Why” (the sustaining pull for their work) and what relaxes them. (Read previous weeks’ installments).
Service: Diabetes Clinic
Time with Internal Medicine: 5 years
Hometown: Parker, Arizona
My “WHY”: I find outpatient diabetes management fulfilling because I get to see the positive effects of optimizing glucose control in my patients long-term. Incremental changes over a long period of time are especially gratifying when they come to fruition with the help of the healthcare team. In addition, my job is exciting due to the quickly evolving technology such as automated insulin delivery systems and continuous glucose monitoring. I look forward to further advances in technology to continue optimizing care.
What relaxes me: Hiking, running, cooking, and spending time with my family.
“Bianca is always willing to go the extra mile and it shows! Patients appreciate the excellent care and positive attitude. She is invaluable to the team and we are lucky to have her.”
– – Amie Ogunsakin, MD
Read what patients say about her:
- I feel that Bianca Carlson is incredibly knowledgeable and had the best understanding of diabetes that I have seen. She is great with my insulin pump and CGM technologies. I have great confidence in her.
- Bianca is amazing. My mother listens to her and is confident in her care. I appreciate her availability over MyChart and occasional phone calls
- The nurse practitioner was very thorough looking at my blood sugar records and good advice about changes I could make that would improve my control. She devoted a lot of time to her review of my records…the best review I have ever had in my 20+ years coming to the Endocrine Clinic 4 times per year.
- Bianca is very thorough. She cares not just about the patient’s diabetes but about the person as a whole.
- Bianca is an outstanding health care provider–takes time to discuss and understand questions and concerns. I feel privileged that she is my healthcare provider as I dislike dealing with diabetes & she tries to help make it more manageable.
Carlson was also recognized with a Patient’s Choice Award for her excellence in patient experience.