We are pleased to present the next in our weekly series introducing you to Internal Medicine’s Advanced Practice Providers. In addition to sharing information about where they work in the department, we asked them each to tell us a little bit about their “Why” (the sustaining pull for their work) and what relaxes them. (Read previous weeks’ installments.)
Years with Internal Medicine: 14
Hometown: Iowa City
My “WHY”: Patients seen in rheumatology suffer from chronic illnesses that often cause debilitating pain. In many cases, taking care of them can be challenging. Being able to help them is rewarding, and the longitudinal care often leads to mutual understanding, trust, and respect, which I find satisfying. In addition, my supportive colleagues make me feel lucky to be a member of this exceptional team.
What Relaxes Me: exercise and spending time with family.
Ermei is always advocating for the best care for our patients! She frequently collaborates across specialties to coordinate care for complex patients and her colleagues look to her for guidance in this multidisciplinary care. She is a team player, always willing to help others.
–Benjamin Davis, MD, PhD
Read what patients say about her:
- Ermei always includes me in everything!
- She is very caring and informative about my concerns
- After all of these years, I feel I really have a RELATIONSHIP
- Ermei is wonderful and does whatever she can do to help you out
- She is very understanding of the way I feel and always takes care of me
- Ermei Yao is very informative about my health issues and always does a full exam and brings to my attention any new findings she notices
- She was friendly, professional and expressed empathy. I felt like she really cared about my situation and getting my issues resolved
- Ms. Yao is an outstanding care provider. She listens very carefully and truly cares about her patients
- I felt heard and believed. Thank you